Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Some more reflections on Dallas Willard

Over the last couple of days I've told several people about Dallas Willard, and encouraged them to dig into his writings. Something I've told them I have not mentioned here before. The two books by him that I know best are Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God and The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives. Bearing in mind that Willard was a Husserlian phenomenologist, I think Hearing God is essentially a phenomenology of religious experience, and The Spirit of the Disciplines is a theological phenomenology of the body, how the body influences the spiritual life.

The spiritual books of his that I haven't read yet are The Great Omission: Rediscovering Jesus' Essential Teachings on Discipleship. However, I have read several of the chapters, as they were published as articles prior to the book: I provided some of the links to these chapters here. The other book is Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge, which I mentioned here. I started it yesterday.

No comments: